Thursday, August 11, 2011

Month One

     Welcome Baby Abby to the world!

     You were born on Tuesday, June 28th, 2011 at 7:15pm via Cesarean Section, weighing in at 7lb and 5 oz, and 19 inches long. Your head and chest were both 13 inches.

     Although your birth story was a little scary and hectic, your first month on this earth has been wonderful and such a joy! Your first two days were a little harder because mommy was also recovering from surgery. I had a hard time getting up from the hospital bed, and getting back into it. The first few steps (to the bathroom of course) weren't that bad though, I was all hopped up on drugs! When the drugs wore off, however, the pain began to set in. Therefore, those few days in the hospital were somewhat of a blur; everything was happening so quickly, and it was hard to begin to actually digest what had actually happened. Thankfully, you were such a precious little one and very patient with mommy as I was trying to deal with all the pain.

     Right after you were born, once I was finally wheeled in to the recovery room where you and daddy were, they gave you to me and put you to my breast and you immediately began to chow down; good news! There was colostrum all over your little mouth! It was a beautiful moment surrounded by family. We stayed in the recovery room for an hour or so while they got the postpartum room ready for us. They gave you your first bath, and your family took turns coming in to see you. But mostly that hour was spent staring at you and taking in your beauty!

     We finally got to our postpartum room and we got situated for the night, and we tried breast feeding again before we went to bed. It was a late night as all your family was there to visit you and meet you for the first time. We were up every few hours or so to eat. But for the most part, we had to set an alarm, and daddy had to wake up and bring you to me so you could eat b/c you did not wake up on your own to eat. Good little sleeper! The first night was a little hard and tiring as the nurses continued coming in and waking us up to take our blood pressure and check our heart rates. The doctor even came in at 2:30am to check on me and give me my instructions. Needless to say, mommy didn't get much sleep that night.

     The next day was spent lounging around the ridiculously small room that was super hot (I think the AC was broken). We had more visitors, and all agreed that you were just the most beautiful baby!

     There was only one problem... you wouldn't pee. You pooped and pooped, but you refused to pee. The nurses gave you a 24 hour limit, but they didn't say what would happen if you didn't pee within those 24 hours. 24 hours came and went, and you still hadn't peed. The pediatrician came in to visit you and checked you out to see if there was a problem. They decided to give you 36 hours instead and hope that you would relieve yourself by then. I had been cleared to leave the hospital the next day, but the pediatrician said that if you had not peed by then, that you would have to stay. We talked about the options of what would happen if you ended up staying, I didn't like any of them.

     Later that evening, as daddy was holding you (you spent most of your time cuddling in daddy's arms in the hospital), he said he thought you might have just peed. He got up to change your diaper and thankfully, you did! You peed! I immediately started crying; I didn't realize how stressed I was about your pee! I had been so calm, but I guess inside I was beginning to really worry that we would have to leave you behind at the hospital, and that thought was very terrifying! I was so happy that you were perfectly fine and didn't have any problems! Who knew one could be so excited about pee?! Mommy and daddy did a dance of excitement!

     We were all able to go home the next day at 3pm together as a family. We went to your grandparents house for the night b/c you had your first doctor's appt the next morning. You other grandma came over, as well as your aunt C and uncle D, and we all held you and fell more in love with you as the minutes passed. You were so quiet and peaceful.

     The next morning we went to your appt at 10:30am. That was the first time we experienced trying to get out of the house with you; my goodness, what a feat! Forget about getting yourself ready, there's no time anymore, it's all about baby; it's okay though, you're precious enough! I was a little worried because although you had peed at the hospital the day before, you had yet to relieve yourself again. However, right when we undressed you to put you on the scale in the office, you decided that was prime time to show your skills! You peed all over daddy as he was holding you. Whoops! Thankfully the very nice nurse cleaned up your mess.

     You weighed in at 6lb and 15 oz and 20 inches long. And we had a great discussion with your pediatrician.

     Once home, Nomi Sarah came up to help mommy and daddy for the first week. She helped out so much by cleaning around the house, making sure that we were all fed, and holding/playing with you. We watched together as the trial of Casey Anthony progressed and the verdict was read, it was quite surreal. Everything was going smoothly until.... that night.

     Monday night you decided that nothing would do... you just wanted to scream and scream and scream at the top of your lungs. It really scared mommy. No matter what we did, nothing worked. You just screamed. I was so worried that something was wrong, or you wanted something but I just couldn't figure it out. You screamed the entire evening, for several hours. And the next night produced the same thing: cries. Nomi Sarah took you to the back room to hold you and let you cry, while I sat in the living room with daddy and cried on his shoulder.

     I was worried that you might have colic. I read and read and researched, but I decided that you didn't have colic because eventually, after those first two weeks, I was able to find certain positions to hold you in that would calm you down. That was very relieving! We think that it was just gas; we got you gas medicine as quickly as possible, and that seemed to help!

     You are such a good sleeper. I have to set my alarm each night in order to get up to feed you, b/c you do not get up on your own (for the most part). We get up every 4 hours to feed, and change your diaper, before you drift back off to sleep! During the day you eat every 2 hours or so, and sleep the rest of the time.

     You have no problem peeing now! You pee all the time... although there's only one problem... you prefer to pee when you don't have a diaper on... you like to pee right when we take your diaper off. You then proceed to pee all over the changing table... we can't get a diaper on you fast enough. So no changing table cover for now, no need, it would just get soaked every time we changed you!

     We took you to your next appt with your pediatrician when you were one month old. You weighed in at 8lb and 6oz and you were 21.75 inches long. Your umbilical stump had fallen off after 3 weeks, but there was a little piece still intact on your belly button that would just not fall off. It kept bleeding every time it was nicked by your diaper or clothes. Thankfully, right as we took off your clothes at the appt, it fell off! Yah! You peed on the scale again, thankfully you waited until you were actually on the scale this time, rather that pee in mid air. We talked to your doctor about your crying, and she gave us some tips. We also discussed how much you were spitting up, A LOT! You weren't just spitting up a little here and there, you were having gushes of regurgitated milk flowing from your mouth after most feedings. But she seemed to not be too worried about it, so I also try not to worry about it as well.

     After the first three weeks, you began to calm down again to your peaceful little self. You still would cry a lot, but mommy could find ways to calm and sooth your little tears. Although you spent most of your time in the hospital with daddy for the first few days, you quickly began to cling to mommy and prefer me when it's time to go to sleep. Daddy was very willing to hold you and love on you, but you wouldn't have any of it. You  cried until mommy finally came to get you and rock you to your slumber. I'm hoping that changes at some point, so that I can get some cleaning done or even take a shower during that time... trust me... you want a showered mommy, considering how close we have to be all the time!

     Thank you Abby for a beautiful first month. We are trying to treasure each moment with you, knowing that these times will be but a memory soon. You should know that your mommy and daddy love you very much, and that your daddy was such a wonderful helper for mommy and you when you were born. He did pretty much everything for us since I couldn't get up and get around myself. It is amazing to experience falling in love with someone all over again... especially since it comes at a time when there is a new addition to the family, and your love grows for another. It's beautiful to know that your heart still has room to grow in love for your original love as well.

     Happy one month Abby, we love you!


  1. This is so sweet, I love how you document all the memories! You are such an awesome momma! I love all the pictures at the end too! -heather b

  2. She is so beautiful!!! And I am so happy you are feeling better, I could tell you were hurting so much.

  3. I love reading your blog! It's so fun to see all of the similarities and differences that mothers have those first few weeks! My favorite part was definitely the end... about falling in love even more with your hubby. When you are blessed with an awesome, supportive husband it's so easy to continue to fall in love with him! Congrats again on you're wonderful little family!

  4. thanks Michelle! i'm glad that you have a great husband too! you have such a precious family!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...