Monday, May 16, 2011

Media Monday: Episode 3



What I'm listening to:

     Guster! They are a great pop-rock group that formed in 1991 during college and began touring. With the addition of a fourth member who played numerous instruments, they were able to add a folk element to their music as well. Their music is super catchy and fun. I have three of their albums, and really enjoy them all. I just recently downloaded their newest album Easy Wonderful, released in 2010, and have really liked what I've heard so far. Some say they are similar to Matchbox Twenty, Counting Crows, Barenaked Ladies, Hootie and the Blowfish, The Flaming Lips, and Wilco. Watch their video of Do You Love Me off their new album... it's quite silly and entertaining!



What I'm watching:
  • The Greatest (2009) featuring Susan Sarandon, Pierce Bronsnan, and Carey Mulligan. This drama is about a young girl (Mulligan), newly graduated from high school, dealing with her pregnancy alone, as her boyfriend has just died in a car accident. The movie centers around the relationship she builds with his parents (Brosnan and Sarandon's characters), and his wayward brother as they try to come to terms with the loss of their son and brother. This film was much more interesting that I originally thought it would be. It had some very serious, heart-wrenching moments, especially watching Sarandon's search to figure out what her son's last moments were like. Of course, each character deals with the boy's death differently; the father is pushing it out and trying to go on as normal, the mother is trying to be proactive and find out details, while the younger brother is struggling with drugs. The writer/director's goal was to be realistic as possible, and it seemed like she was able to acheive this. Ultimately, it was an enjoyable film, watching the progression of this family as they each struggle with their own problems as well as the loss of a family member.                                                                    
  • Thor (2011) featuring Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, and Anthony Hopkins. Everyone has pretty much heard about and seen previews of this movie, so I don't really need to give a description of the movie. I knew nothing about the movie going into it. So, it was a wonderful surprise to find that I really enjoyed the film. I would say it was one of the best films I've seen in the theatre in quite some time. It had pretty much everything: action, adventure, personal quest, romance, etc etc. My only issue was that it was in 3D, which I'm so over. Those irritating glasses that they make you wear could not be more uncomfortable, and I end up rubbing my ear the whole time trying to sooth it from the hard plastic hanging on it. Not for me. Sometimes I find myself just taking the glasses off completely, and the movie is just as enjoyable. I'm crazy, I know.
What I'm reading:

     Natural Birth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon. As things get closer and closer (5 weeks now), I'm starting to get very nervous about this whole natural childbirth thing. I'm still very passionate about it and my reasons why, but with the birthing classes ending some time ago, the enthusiasm has kinda gone the same way unfortunately. I was really needing a boost of encouragement and a reminder about why I chose this method. This book has definitely been the help I have needed. I'm feeling great again and re-energized! Exactly what I needed!


What I stumbled upon:
  • This picture is hilarious!
  • This gal makes a monthly calendar for your desktop, it's great! 
  • How cute is this idea? How fun to eat a cake out of a jar!
  • How fun would this be to do if you had stairs in your home?! 
  • Yet another Nutella recipe... but can you blame me? I think I need to give in, and finally buy a jar for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...