Monday, May 2, 2011

Media Monday

     This is a new part of the blog I thought I'd add b/c I'm such a media nerd and I like to watch all kinds of movies and TV shows, read books and magazines, listen to and discover great new music, and surf the net for everything from fun gadgets to recipes to fashion and design. Hopefully you can find something new you didn't know about and/or get reintroduced to something you forgot about a while back.

  • What I'm listening to: Gungor! Find them HERE! 
          I read about this group in one of our leadership or worship leader magazines a few months back and added them to my playlist. Unfortunately, I didn't really have much of a chance to listen to them. They were titled the Michael Gungor Band at that point. Then, Grant came back from Catalyst this year and told me all about them, and played their music incessantly. I really enjoy them. There is something different and unique about them. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly. From listening to their album many times now I'd say that their sound ranges from Sufjan Stevens to Switchfoot. Michael Gungor describes their style as "liturgical post-rock." And, whats more, they use super fun instruments!

          Check out this acoustic version of Beautiful Things:



  • What I'm watching: Big Bang Theory, Find them HERE!
          I remember seeing previews for this show when it first came out a few years ago, and thinking it would be a cute little show. Then I never watched it. I had too much on my plate at the time. Then I kept hearing good things from a few people. I decided to check it out on Netflix, and got hooked. I enjoyed the first few episodes, I remember thinking that it wasn't funniest show ever, but I was laughing, and I saw great potential, so I kept watching. Boy, am I glad I did! I love that the show focuses on these two brainiacs and all their quirky habits and behaviors. It's such a different idea for a show that it's really appealing! Here's a synopsis of the show:

          "Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists, the kind of "beautiful minds" that understand how the universe works. But none of that genius helps them interact with people, especially women. All this begins to change when a free-spirited beauty named Penny moves in next door. Sheldon, Leonard's roommate, is quite content spending his nights playing Klingon Boggle with their socially dysfunctional friends, fellow CalTech scientists Wolowitz and Koothrappali. However, Leonard sees in Penny a whole new universe of possibilities... including love."

  • What I stumbled upon:
          I've been taking some sewing lessons for the last month, and so I've been excitedly searching for easy patterns online that I might be able to tackle. HERE is a tutorial for how to make a super cute stuffed goose. I don't think I'm necessarily at this sewing level yet, but it definitely got bookmarked for a later date! 

          HERE is a recipe for salt water taffy; it looks incredible. The pictures alone are so artistic I just want to stare at it.... course I do want to eat it as well. I just don't know if I'd be up for the taffy making process. It looks intense. 

          HERE is an adorable short article with pictures and quotes of 5 couples  who have been in love for over 50 years. Sweet!

  • What I'm reading: Last month's Rolling Stone article on Adele. 
          I totally dig this chick; her voice is amazing! I loved this article for all the fun pictures of Adele, and to get an insight into who she is. Something interesting I read was that she has extreme stage fright; to the point of running to the window to puke right before she goes on stage. I predict this woman is going to stay around for a long time. Her voice is just timeless! 

     

     

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...